Sunday, April 27, 2014

April 27th post

For the past week our community has had spring break. Our assignment from mr. Provenzanos was to do our end of the year presentation. This means to know exactly what we are talking about and what we are going to put in our slides. 
     For my break, I visited Washington, D.C. As well as Virginia Beach. On my family vacation, I got to experience life outside the "bubble" of Grosse Pointe which is mostly a Caucasian community. It's difficult being raised in this type of area(not diverse) because when I am finally exposed to the real world it almost comes as a shock to how diverse and how different our world really is. I am born to think that everyone should be just like me: Fairly wealthy and white.
   While in D.C. I got to finally experience a whole array of diversity, after all, people go there from all over the world. I got to see people from all ethnic backgrounds and I even vacationed alongside deaf and blind people. What I got through my twenty time project from the vacation was that language brings the world together. English, ASL, Spanish, French, .... And many many more. It's what connects the world together and that's why I think I wanted to learn ASL so badly.
 

     

1 comment:

  1. Hi Gennie,
    I have had a similar experience growing up in a small New Hampshire town everyone was Caucasian. So when I came to West Hartford for college it was a cultural shock but the shock does go away and it's become a norm for me. I have been able to learn about different cultures and religions just from going to a college set in a different community. Down the street where I am from is the American School for the Deaf and I havent been there yet but I hope to visit before I leave this area because it would be able big cultural change that I'm not used to.
    I'm glad you had fun in D.C. and got to experience new cultures and languages. D.C. is a lot of fun, I haven't been there since I was in 8th grade but hope to go back soon. Its exciting to hear that this trip confirmed for you that learning ASL is just as important to learn as any other language.
    Have a great week back to school!
    Meghan

    ReplyDelete