Sunday, January 12, 2014

Random Thoughts Blog

This week we had three snow days and I got to send one of them for awhile teaching my mother some basic signs(the first lesson of ASL university online). This including the alphabet and numbers 1-10. She proceeded to tell our whole family abut how she can now sign. I wish learning the entire language of ASL was that easy . After spending 7 hours working on and APUSH Document based questioning essay, I think I might know what hard is, but learning ASL is definitely time consuming. 

Anyways, now that my mom knows a little ASL, it's kind of fun signing to her. I know it sounds silly, but it's almost like a secret language that know one else can understand, like those secret languages that i'm sure everybody made up when they were a kid. The sad thing is that for people who are actually deaf, it's not a game or a fun way to interact, it's a lifestyle. It's like their lifeline. It's their only way to connect to society. 

I'm still researching options about visiting a deaf school, cause I think that would be really awesome. Maybe my mom would be interested in coming. 

I sometimes wonder what it would be like to be deaf for a whole day. Just to see how hard it is.

Gennie

1 comment:

  1. Hi Gennie,
    My name is Meghan, I'm a teacher candidate at the University of Saint Joseph and my specific major is in Special Education. I'm a senior who just finished student teaching last semester and I'm excited to have the chance to be your blog pal for this semester through my EDUC 210 class. You have chosen an amazing goal to learn American Sign Language. I actually have taken classes and now speak ASL, many of my student's use ASL to communicate. I know ASL can be a struggle to learn but I promise you, the more you use it the easier it will become. I used to get together with a group of students that also were taking the class and we weren't allowed to speak anything but sign language for the hour we spent together. We did this once a week and it really helped, eventually we could speak just sign to each other and nobody knew what we were saying. Since your mom has taken an interest in the language ask her to practice with you, even watching yourself sign in the mirror will help you become more aware of speaking with your hands.
    A book that really helped me was Basic Course in American Sign Language (the link is below if you want to look at it). It was recommended by my sign language teacher who worked at the American School for the Deaf in West Hartford, CT for years. The school is still there and the ASL community is very big in that area. We thought he actually was deaf because he taught the whole semester by just signing. The last day he finally spoke to us. He wanted to prove that even though he never made a sound we were still able to learn the language.
    Please let me know if you have any questions about ASL or the history of the language. It's something I became very passionate about and teach to the student's I work with, deaf or not.

    http://www.amazon.com/Basic-Course-American-Sign-Language/dp/0932666426/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1390335860&sr=1-5&keywords=american+sign+language

    ReplyDelete